Wednesday, May 5, 2010

FNCCC Week 34 - Sunny Anderson


This week's chef is Sunny Anderson, the host of Food Network's Cooking For Real. I have never made wings before but my husband and oldest daughter love them so I chose Caribbean Chicken Wings . I'm not a big fan of meat on the bone so this was a stretch for me.
They were very easy to make (despite trying to separate the drumette from the wing and wing tip). Marinate, bake, done. I didn't add the habanero or cayenne because my babies don't like spicy. They were very tasty. I also made Giada De Laurentiis' Balsamic Chicken Drumettes. YUM! These were liked better than Caribbean flavor, because they were sweeter. I would make both again.
Caribbean Chicken Wings
Recipe courtesy Sunny Anderson, 2008

Ingredients
1 habanero, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons fennel seed
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons allspice
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground ginger
4 garlic cloves, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup orange juice
7 pounds chicken wings (not even close - maybe 2 pounds even without reserving the 1 cup of marinate)
Directions
In a food processor, blend together all the ingredients but the chicken until smooth. Reserve 1 cup of marinade (** I used it all because it didn't look like nearly enough to marinate them). Place chicken wings into a large resealable plastic bag and pour remaining marinade over them. Seal and marinate in the refrigerator 4 to 6 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 sheet trays with parchment. Remove chicken from bag and place on the baking sheets. Bake 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan bring reserved marinade to a boil. Reduce by 1/3 until it thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove chicken from oven. Brush chicken with the glaze. Raise the heat to 400 degrees F and cook chicken until cooked through, another 20 minutes.
I am no longer afraid of making wings! What did you make? Link up to M. Linky below!


6 comments:

  1. I thought about making those. Ended up making something else, which I might get to post about, I'm swamped in wedding details for my Mom's wedding, so maybe I'll do two posts next week.
    Have you caught her other show, "How'd That Get On My Plate?" we love it at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! Nice work on the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it me or is Mr. Linky not working?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love wings too, but my husband is not fond of meat on the bone either. I bet these would be good using chicken tenders too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! So glad your not afraid anymore, lol. Mr. Linky isn't working for me either.

    Here's my link: Sugar Fried Donut Holes
    http://www.newlyweds-blog.com/2010/05/05/orange-sugar-fried-donut-holes/

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love chicken wings here but I don't make them too often-- they always seem like too much work! These don't look too complex, though, I might have to make my husband happy and try this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete