Thursday, November 5, 2009

Kids in the Kitchen - Pumpkin Seeds!


I tore out recipes for spiced pumpkin seeds from the last issue of Redbook and I found a keeper! The Sugar and Spice seeds are so very good. They will be a holiday tradition in this house. I'm not actually sure if anyone else likes them but the baby and I cannot get enough :) I would try the savory recipes but would feel bad if they weren't nearly as good. We had fun with this recipe. Even Little Bit joined in (as she always tried to do).


Sugar and Spice Seeds
Ingredients
1 cup(s)
pumpkin seeds
3 tablespoon(s) melted unsalted butter
3 tablespoon(s)
sugar
1 teaspoon(s) pumpkin-pie spice
1 pinch(s) kosher salt
Directions
Clean pumpkin seeds: Rinse under cold water and remove all the pulpy strings. (This is best done before the pulp dries.) Dry seeds thoroughly.
Roast pumpkin seeds: Heat oven to 350°F. Line a
baking sheet with nonstick foil. Toss seeds with melted unsalted butter, sugar, pumpkin-pie spice, and kosher salt. Place on prepared baking sheet and roast 15 to 20 minutes, or until browned.

Separating the seeds from the goo.

Playing with the goo. Getting the goo on the floor.OK.....I felt like a cooking show. After separating the seeds you are supposed to let them dry, which I find takes a few days. I had roasted a pumpkin a few days earlier so had dried seeds on hand...we used those so we could do all the steps at once. The ones that she just separated will have to dry a few days.

Mixing in the spices. Posing. Cheesing.The finished product in all of their glory.

Go over to A Little Fun With Me and Lu to check out more Kids in the Kitchen posts!

5 comments:

  1. My husband didn't know I was going to do this, and he threw away our seeds before I could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant believe it but we didnt even carve a pumkin this year much less bake seeds :( ahh well there is always next year!

    ReplyDelete