Wednesday, November 4, 2009

FNCCC Week 10 - Claire Robinson



This week's featured chef is Claire Robinson who is the host of Food Network's 5 Ingredient Fix. This was a tasty recipe. Too much of lots of ingredients but it was good! While plating the meal I had to laugh at my completely orange meal....on an orange plate. So much for a rainbow meal :)






Blackened Catfish


Compound Butter: (we only used half of this)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped chives (we didn't have any so it didn't get included)

Catfish:
2 lemons, thinly sliced
Compound butter
4 (8-ounce) fresh skinless, boneless catfish fillets (we used grouper)

1/4 cup Creole seasoning (recommended: Tony Chachere's) - I even found this brand, but didn't use nearly as much as recommended.

Whole chives, for garnishing

Directions
In a bowl, add the butter, Creole spices, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper and mix to combine. Stir in the chopped chives and set aside. The butter can be made ahead and chilled; bring to room temperature before using.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Preheat a large well-seasoned cast iron skillet or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Line the bottom of a 9 by 11-inch baking dish with the lemon slices and dollop half of the compound butter evenly over the lemon.

Evenly coat both sides of each fish fillet with 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning. Working in batches if necessary, add the seasoned fillets to the hot skillet, and cook 2 minutes on each side to just toast and brown the seasoning. With a spatula, carefully place the seared fish on top of the buttered lemon slices in the baking dish. Bake until fish easily breaks apart with a fork, 12 to 15 minutes. Immediately top each hot fillet with a spoonful of compound butter; transfer to heated serving plates and garnish with a few whole fresh chives crossed like an x over each fillet.


So what recipe did you tackle this week? Link your post to Mr. Linky below.

11 comments:

  1. I love blackened catfish...good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom said....
    We made Claire Robinson's Crispy Brussels Sprouts - Too dry!!!. We are trying
    the other Brussels sprouts another time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she over seasons her food! My pork tenderloin had waaaaaaay too much pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never had catfish... it looks good.

    I hope to have my recipe up later this evening. With being out with H1N1 last week, I'm still working to get caught up and the cooking is the last thing to come back. I'm excited to try her recipe, and hope it won't be too late for me to link up this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love blackened fish also. And yes it usually has tons of seasonings, I had to laugh about your all orange plate and foods. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was it spicy at all? I might try that with tilapia sometime, but if it's "spicy" (and I'm never quite sure how my kids will define this) they won't eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious. I love blackened catfish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've ever had catfish before. This looks really tasty though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not had this kind of catfish. It looks yummy... I have a giveaway going on come on by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great way to use catfish!Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi everyone,

    I tried Claire's Millionaire Shortbread and found it to be one of the simplest desserts I've ever done. Check out my creation by visiting my blog, Sabbath Supper.

    Thanks!
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete