Friday, September 4, 2009

Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream

What did I get myself into? This ice cream is amazing. For the first recipe I picked a decadent peanut butter with bananas. We were going to add marshmallow fluff as well but it was so good as it was. This recipe is custard based so it took about 20 minutes yesterday to cook. The custard then sat overnight in the refrigerator to cool as the bowl of the ice cream maker was freezing. The ice cream maker works well. It is a bit loud but only took 25 minutes to freeze. Clean up was a breeze.
Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream

½ cup sugar (called for ¾ cup - I don't like my ice cream too sweet)
3 eggs
1 cup milk
½ cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cup heavy cream (I used 1 cup cream, ½ cup milk - it is SO creamy even with the cut)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or a little more)
2 small bananas
2 tablespoons sugar

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs until thickened and pale yellow. Set aside.

Bring the milk to a simmer. Slowly beat the hot milk into the eggs and sugar. Pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon or whisk until it thickens slightly (you don’t want it to boil or your eggs scramble).

Remove from heat and mix in the peanut butter. Let cool for a few minutes and stir in the cream and vanilla. Cover and cool completely (overnight works).

Thinly slice the bananas and toss with the 2 T of sugar and let sit for ½ hour. Mix bananas into the custard and freeze according to the ice cream machine’s instructions. It will be soft unless you want to put it in the freezer for a few hours to firm up.


I had chocolate left over from making our Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas this morning so made some hearts....which made great ice cream toppers :) Now I can't decide if I want to tackle the Lime Sorbet (have tons of limes on my tree) or a No Cook Peach Ice Cream.
Next time I want peanut butter ice cream I am going to try this no cook version.....
No Cook Peanut Butter Ice Cream

1 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup whole milk
1 - 1/3 cups heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla extract

Combine the peanut butter and sugar until smooth. Add the milk. Blend on low speed until smooth and the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and the vanilla.

Place in your ice cream maker and let it run until it's as thick as it's going to get, then scrape it into a container. If you let it sit in a freezer overnight, it'll harden up and have the standard ice cream consistency.

Want to win an ice cream maker of your own (or anything else for $50) from Cookware.com? Enter my giveaway HERE!

7 comments:

  1. That sounds soooooooooo good!
    YUMMY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love peanut butter.
    I love ice cream.
    I love bananas.
    THIS IS PERFECT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that sounds heavenly! I LOVE pb and banana but never would've considered adding it to ice cream. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum, I love anything peanut butter!! Wow, love both versions, but I always seem to think the custards versions are better.

    Here's a Rocky Road recipe I recently made.

    http://newlyweds.wordpress.com/2009/08/18/rocky-road-ice-cream/

    ReplyDelete
  6. *drool*

    I think I just gained three pounds staring at that.....

    YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete